Birdie started school last week and it's been surprisingly hard to handle. Hard because I never imagined myself as a stay-at-home mom...until I spent my days with Birdie. I still really don't see it for the long-term but a six-month maternity leave sounds just about perfect to me.
Oh well. I'm very lucky to have had the 15 weeks I had, right?
Anyhow, we got into a great daycare near our home and I had Birdie do four half days before I went back to work (I went back on Wednesday). The school did a great job of putting me at ease. They welcomed me to stay as long as I wanted on each of the days and to drop by anytime. Of course, I can't drop by now since I work downtown but their openness makes me so comfortable.
Husband is doing the drop-offs and pick-ups. He drives to work daily so it makes sense but I am secretly glad that I can leave before them and pretend that Birdie is just chilling at home all day. He says she gives him a huge grin during pick-up time and I simultaneously love and hate that. Love that we have such a sweet and happy baby, hate that she is so happy to see us...does that mean she misses us!? Mommy guilt is a tough thing.
Buuuuuut. I do really like my new assignment and I worked really hard to get it lined up before my maternity leave. I'm kicking around the idea of extending for a third year - we love our house and daycare plus the reliable access to good food and first-rate medical care. I have a few months to decide so we'll see and I've only been in this job for a couple days.
My cousin just had her first baby. The squishy baby photos are adorable and really makes me realize how quickly Birdie has grown! Just when I start to feel slightly jealous, I remember how those first weeks were. Well, honestly, I can barely remember them but I'm convinced that this is a protective mechanism in my brain, intended to ensure that I will do my part to continue populating the earth. Until then, we'll have a lot of fun playing with Birdie's second cousins (my dad looked it up, that's the official genealogy term for the children of two first cousins!)
Lastly, we celebrating Birdie's baptism into the Catholic Church last weekend. These photos are from that event, which we were so lucky to share with friends and extended family. Birdie has awesome godparents (my sister and cousin) and we are once again happy to be at home when we had our baby!
(Birdie is 15 and a half weeks old)
Oh well. I'm very lucky to have had the 15 weeks I had, right?
Anyhow, we got into a great daycare near our home and I had Birdie do four half days before I went back to work (I went back on Wednesday). The school did a great job of putting me at ease. They welcomed me to stay as long as I wanted on each of the days and to drop by anytime. Of course, I can't drop by now since I work downtown but their openness makes me so comfortable.
![]() | |
| Birdie's Aunt Coco has started early with the princess/fairy gear. The tutu is still a little big but Birdie kept a good grip on the wand! |
Buuuuuut. I do really like my new assignment and I worked really hard to get it lined up before my maternity leave. I'm kicking around the idea of extending for a third year - we love our house and daycare plus the reliable access to good food and first-rate medical care. I have a few months to decide so we'll see and I've only been in this job for a couple days.
My cousin just had her first baby. The squishy baby photos are adorable and really makes me realize how quickly Birdie has grown! Just when I start to feel slightly jealous, I remember how those first weeks were. Well, honestly, I can barely remember them but I'm convinced that this is a protective mechanism in my brain, intended to ensure that I will do my part to continue populating the earth. Until then, we'll have a lot of fun playing with Birdie's second cousins (my dad looked it up, that's the official genealogy term for the children of two first cousins!)
![]() |
| My cute-pie. She didn't cry at all during the baptism! |
(Birdie is 15 and a half weeks old)


No comments:
Post a Comment