My last blog posting in America for (probably) the next year and I'm filled with random thoughts. We depart shortly for Dubai and will push onwards to Kabul from there. I've been reading some blogs by FS colleagues currently posted in Afghanistan and they're posting some cool information and photos. Probably cooler stuff than I'll ever blog about so I'll link to them on the blog page one of these days.
I've known for awhile that I'd need long tunics and scarves to wear when I'm off the compound during the next year. However, I wasn't really thinking clearly and assumed that I'd be able to buy stuff when I get to Kabul. Duh though, what will I wear off the airplane? My friend Amanda rescued me by buying me a scarf and I found a beach coverup that I can layer for length. Crisis averted and low profile maintained.
It's much easier to transfer without a dog, I'm finding. We miss Cooper SO MUCH but have Skype dates with my parents so that we can catch him there. He much prefers their swimming pool to the dusty grimy city life of Kabul, I'm sure.
I just found a bunch of pictures from Chicago and Toledo and I'm realizing that I never finished blogging about our home leave road trip. Maybe on the plane?
We've knocked off a number of food items from our DC restaurant bucket list. Zaytinya, Rosa Mexicano, Georgetown Cupcake, Honey Pig, Tacklebox, Five Guys, Bubble Tea at the Eden Center, Coco Sala, Trader Joe's (kind of a stretch but definitely on the list), and J+G Steakhouse. We have bunches more to do and are looking forward to returning to DC next year.
I sure hope that the airline will let my 'just at the limit' bags go through. Updated the ipod and Kindle. I think I'm as ready as I can be for this 13 hour flight. Yeesh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Safe travels and good luck! See ya soon enough.
Post a Comment