Thursday, January 29, 2009

For our last day in Belgium, we stuck around Brussels for the tour de E.U. It was a little drizzly all day so I was happy to have the brand-new umbrella that I bought in Ypres (so I guess that counts as an extra souvenir). The umbrella is black with a large red poppy on the outside - it does a lot to brighten up a grey day!


Our first stop was the European Council building to check out the Czech installation that pokes fun at E.U. member states. It's a bit difficult to tell why from the above picture but you can get the general gist. France is represented by a giant 'Greve' sign (meaning 'strike'), Italy by obscene soccer players, Austria by nuclear power plants (due to their firmly anti-nuc stance), Sweden by a giant Ikea box, and the U.K. is represented by an empty space in the top left corner. The Czech Republic commissioned this installation, called Entropa, and believed that it was being created by 27 artists from the different member states. Instead, it was all part of an elaborate scam by Czech artist David Cerny - a fact not revealed until the start of the Czech Republic's six-month term in the E.U. presidency. Bulgaria is particularly upset by the national stereotypes portrayed as their nation is represented by the base of a Turkish toilet. Our timing was fortunate - several days following our departure, the Czechs bowed to Bulgarian pressure to cover their portion of the installation.


After a stroll through the Park Van Brussel, we came out the other side to two sights. The famous one was the Palais Royal de Bruxelles. While it was once the home of Belgian kings, it is now only used for the king and royal family when conducting business. While not in any guidebooks (at least, none I know of), my preferred site is pictured below. I think this lion had the funniest expression on it's face - like if the Wizard of Oz's Cowardly Lion was frozen in cement.


After coffee, lunch, and more walking, we made it to Mary's Chocolatier. I mentioned the yummy chocolates we bought and the marzipan but I did NOT mention the chocolate sculpture of the famous Mannequin Pis.


Before heading to the Petit Sablon to get more expressos and hot cocoas, we took in the scene overlooking Brussels. A new way to see a very familiar city.

No comments: