Friday, September 12, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

I saw this on another blog (www.verygoodtaste.co.uk) and couldn't resist playing along. This is a list that another blogger made of foods that everyone (well, everyone who isn't vegan/vegetarian) should eat at some point in their life. Below are the rules...

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten. (Note: I've put an asterisk)
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (Note: I've italicized)

Basically, my "never" list includes anything intestinal. However, if you'd asked me a few years ago whether I'd eat goat tartare, I'd probably say "never" to that! I'm at 50% right now. I suspect we'll have delve deeper into Asian and Indian foods to move further along!

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
*3. Huevos rancheros
4 . Steak tartare
*5. Crocodile (at the infamous 'Carnivore' in Nairobi)
6. Black pudding
*7. Cheese fondue
*8. Carp
*9. Borscht
*10. Baba ghanoush
*11. Calamari
*12. Pho
*13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
*15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle (just wait - it's about to be truffle season in Italy!)
*18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (strawberry wine at Horton Vineyards)
*19. Steamed pork buns (of all places, a Chinese restaurant in Lagos was where I first ate these)
*20. Pistachio ice cream (gelato, to be precise. One of my favorites!)
*21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
*23. Foie gras
*24. Rice and beans (Spring Break 2007 - Belize!)
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
*27. Dulce de leche
*28. Oysters
*29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
*31. Wasabi peas
*32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (I should get extra points since I made it myself)
33. Salted lassi
*34. Sauerkraut
*35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
*38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (I've eaten goat in more ways than I care to count, but never curried)
*42. Whole insects (ew. never again)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
*47. Chicken tikka masala
*48. Eel (only in sushi)
*49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
*54. Paneer
*55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
*56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
*58. Beer above 8% ABV (thank you, Brussels)
*59. Poutine (thank you, the Moose in Paris!)
60. Carob chips
*61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
*66. Frogs’ legs
*67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
*69. Fried plantain (this belongs on the "five Nigerian foods I'd eat" list)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
*71. Gazpacho
*72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
*78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
*80. Bellini (at Harry's Bar in Venice - the original Bellini location)
81. Tom yum
*82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (Someday - hopefully soon)
*85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
*88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
*92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
*94. Catfish
*95. Mole poblano
*96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
*98. Polenta
*99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

1 comment:

j said...

Never had cream tea?! We'll have to fix that when you're in London next month! It's pretty much the best thing ever.