Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fluffy Butt - How We Make Cloth Diapering Work

So here's my cloth diapering post.  While I was pregnant, I googled the heck out of cloth diapering in an attempt to figure it all out before Birdie arrived.  I think I read every single blog posting out there about cloth diapers (CDs) and now, like a fellow FS blogger, I want to give back.  Maybe some clueless mom-to-be will stumble across this and find it helpful, I hope so.


I have no idea what made me look into cloth diapers but by the time I was pregnant, I was intrigued by the concept.  I knew that I didn't want to force Husband into it though, he needed to be fully on-board, so early in second trimester, we attended a Cloth Diapering 101 session at the Manassas CD nirvana, Abby's Lane.  I'd read about them extensively by that point but still didn't really grasp the different styles (other than: some were cheap, some were expensive).  Abby's Lane had all different kinds that they discussed and let us look at.  We picked pockets for price and convenience.

One of my beloved Rumparooz

See - clean and fresh despite dozens of uses.
We bought all different brands, having heard that some babies don't fit certain brands.  We're lucky in that we can use every one we purchased, though we definitely have our favorites.  I prefer our Rumparooz, BumGenius, Applecheeks, Blueberries, and Sunbaby diapers - in that order.  We have one Fuzzibunz and I hate it.  HATE. IT.  In fact, I keep meaning to just swap it with another mama but need to get my act together. With the exception of the Applecheeks, all our diapers are one-sized, meaning that they'll grow along with Birdie.  Almost all of them have snaps as well (as opposed to Velcro) since that will extend the life of the diaper to Birdie's hypothetical little sibling.

Yes, we wash them at home.  In the same washer we use for our clothes.  Exclusively breastfed babies have poop that is water soluable.  When we introduce solid foods, we'll have to pre-rinse the poop off in the toilet (part of the reason I'm glad to wait until 6 months before having Birdie eat solids).  We use the wash routine recommended by Abby's Lane (including regular Tide detergent) and try to sun-dry as much as possible.  So far, there are only two small stains in our 20 diaper collection so I guess it's working!

Upstairs changing area
The above photos shows how we've got things set up on the second floor of our house.  This is generally where I change Birdie's diapers, her Daddy prefers the pack n' play on the ground floor.  I have a large Planetwise hanging wetbag right next to the changing table (which is actually just my childhood dresser with a changing pad on top).  Dirty dipes go into the wetbag with the inserts pulled out.  The whole wetbag later just gets dumped in the washer (including the bag itself).  Dipes are in the top shelf along with wipes (baby washclothes) and wash solution (water+ 1tsp baby wash + 1tsp tea tree oil).  In the far right container are her cold-weather caps and some spare diaper inserts.  Cloth wipes go right in the wetbag with the diapers once used.  Daycare does the same thing though with disposable wipes instead of cloth.

Instead of a spray bottle downstairs, I use a peri bottle poached from the hospital.

Birdie doesn't really get rashes but we've sometimes used Earth Mama Angel Baby rash cream when she looks a little sensitive - we will switch to coconut oil once the cream is used up (supposedly better for baby's skin plus cheaper and more CD-friendly).  Birdie still sleeps in disposables since she's a heavy wetter but we're planning to switch her to overnight wool diapers soon.  Overall, it's working out splendidly.  I have bought a few more diapers than what we actually need but only when they've been a ridiculously good deal and a really cute (i.e. girly) print.  Most of our diapers are gender-neutral so they have maximum future potential.  I wouldn't change a thing and am glad we won't have to worry about constantly ordering more disposables once we move overseas in a couple years (though hopefully this kid will be potty-trained by then).  

Random addition to say I LOVE this mobile - Birdie will stare at it for 30 minutes while I shower and get dressed!

No comments: